Middle Eastern Tomato Vegetable & Chickpea Soup
Middle Eastern Tomato Vegetable & Chickpea Soup
|
Daily, at work, we make a soup of the day. Because majority of my customers are men, I have to make a soup that appeals to their liking. They don't consider it a soup unless it contains some sort of protein. To be honest, I was sick of it. I needed to convert them into believers...After all, there are other people for whatever reason don't want to eat meat.
It was hard at first. Getting these men to try something different can be a pain. I have to tell you, a lot of soups went untouched, and didn't understand why...Then, I thought...they won't turn it down if I just gave it to them. Hell, who doesn't like free food? I started to sample them, give them as sides, gave them cups of soup on to go...you name it, I did it.
I am proud to say, they now have confidence in me.
This soup is one of my favorites, and requested often.
It is absolutely delicious, full of flavor and very healthy. It's thick creamy texture leaves you with a satisfying feeling of goodness. Feel free to add any ingredients you like, but I suggest that you try it this way first.
Ingredients
2 Large Tomatoes, chopped
1 Large Onion, chopped
2 Zucchini, cut in rounds
2 Squash, cut in rounds
4 cloves Garlic
2 Tbsp Tomato paste
1/3 cup Olive Oil
1 Tbsp Cumin
2 tsp Coriander
1/2 tsp Cayenne
1 tsp Italian Spices
1/3 cup Olive Oil
1 Large potato, chopped small
1/2 cup Parsley, finely chopped
2 cups Chickpeas
1 1/2 to 2 Quarts Chicken Broth
S/P to taste
Directions
- Combine squash and zucchini in sauce pan with 2 Tbsp olive oil and sear until slightly browned, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
2. In a pot combine tomatoes, onion, garlic, spices and olive oil. Cook down, stirring occasionally approximately 10 minutes.
3. Add the tomato paste, and stir until well combined.
4. Add the the squash and zucchini and stir.
5. Add the potato and 1 1/2 quarts chicken broth. Cook for about 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
6. When vegetables are tender remove from heat and add parsley.
7. It is time to puree the ingredients. You can do this one of two ways, using and immersion blender, or a food processor.
8. When you've pureed all the ingredients return to heat, and bring to a slight simmer.
9. Add salt and pepper, and adjust any flavors at this point adding spices if you need to or add more broth if you like a thinner soup.
10. Once the flavor is to your liking, remove from heat and add the chickpeas.
| Puree vegetables with immersion blender or processor, before adding chickpeas. Enjoy! |

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home